What are the Pores?
Pores are the opening of hair follicles onto our skin, they contain openings to ducts that carry sweat and oil. They are an essential part of our skin as oil secretion keeps the skin moisturised. However, dysregulation of their normal functions can lead to problems such as comedones (clogged pores), or even acne.
Why do I have enlarged pores?
Enlarged or visible pores can be caused by various factors.
● Ethnicity/genetics – your ancestry and genetics play a role; certain ethnicities are more predisposed to larger pores.
● Age – Pores tend to appear larger with age due to loss of surrounding tissue’s collagen and elasticity. Sagging of the skin causes pores to stretch out, appearing larger
● Acne/Increased sebum production – build up of sebum and plugging of pores lead to comedone formation, enlarging their appearance; can also lead to acne eruptions
● Sun exposure – exposure to the sun’s UV radiation increases the effects of photoageing, leading to damage to the skin’s normal structures, destruction of collagen and elasticity of the skin
● Lifestyle habits – smoking, poor diet, lack of proper hydration, lack of proper skincare or using the wrong kind of skincare/cosmetic products, can all contribute to more visible pores
What can I do about enlarged pores?
Pores cannot be completely eliminated, and are an essential part of our skin. However there are methods to minimise their appearance.
● Lifestyle habits – avoiding excessive sun exposure, applying sunblock diligently, avoiding smoking, keeping well hydrated, avoid squeezing pimples/blackheads
● Optimise skincare
○ Cleanse your skin with an appropriate clarifying cleanser twice a day, making sure to completely remove all makeup.
○ Exfoliate your skin 1-3 times per week with a gentle chemical exfoliant – e.g. AHA, BHA containing products
○ Choose appropriate skincare and makeup products for your skin type – i.e. non-comedogenic formulations
● Clinic based treatments
○ Oral or topical medications
○ Chemical peels
○ Laser/light-based treatments
○ Ultrasound based treatments
○ Radiofrequency based treatments
If you have further queries or concerns, please feel free to visit our doctors for an individualised assessment and treatment program.